Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Hinder God?

God has been convicting me.  As we rolled through Thanksgiving week, I thoroughly enjoyed my time with my kids.  Then our first week back at school we have short days so, more free time with my kids.  We talked about God and prayer, did our little devotions, but did we do our structured discipleship?  Nope.  Bummer.  You know what God asked me?  Get ready and please don't shoot the messenger.  He asked me where my deepest love was placed, in Him or my kids.  Whoa.

I truly love the Lord and seek Him and try to do His will, but I also love my kids with every fiber of my being.  And, God has given them to me to bring up in His ways, to disciple them on the path He so clearly laid out for me.  It comes down to my own identity; do I find that in Christ or in my kids.  I am choosing Christ and take His challenge to model that to my kids and remain so thankful that He has entrusted them to me and that I get to have them in my house for this brief time.
I want everything I have ever blogged or written for my kids, but I need to be that conduit for God and not hinder His plan as I get caught up in shuttling, giggling, dancing, checking homework, and laughing.  Yes, all of that is great and has its place in our lives and He is in the midst, but I am striving to not lose sight of the short time I have with them to teach them His ways and His path.  Acts 11:17 spoke to me on this topic.  It says, "Therefore if God gave then the same gift that he gave to us when we believed on the Lord Jesus Christ, how could I possibly hinder God?"  Now this was pointed at the church in conflict and confusion over the entrance of Gentiles into the kingdom of heaven.  However, as God's word is alive and relevant, it also spoke to me as a challenge in my discipleship journey with my kids.  Will I hinder God in my children's lives?  Or will I put them on a journey to somewhere rooted in Him?  By faith and by grace I will not be an hindrance.  Thank you Lord for your correction and strength.

By His Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment