Sunday, September 11, 2011

Patience that Protects our Peace

In August we talked about peace; the peace that comes from knowing that we are yoked with Christ and belted with his truth which provides true peace.  But our peace is threatened daily.  Some days it feels as if it is threatened by the minute.  Patience is a solution to protecting our peace.  A way to react to people and situations where our peace is threatened.  Once again, I have learned a new level and outlook on patience from my child.  Sometimes we guide and teach them and sometimes they provide us with a clear picture of God's intention in situations.

Just for clarity, remember, patience is not my strong suit.  I actually wear a bracelet made by a dear friend of mind that has the word 'patience' engraved on it as a moment by moment reminder of one of my biggest challenges.  One of my challenges in this arena is the patience to see people as Jesus sees them.  In John 8:1-11 a situation is recounted where Jesus is teaching in the temple.  The religious leaders of the day were constantly trying to trap him in inconsistencies to prove that he was against the law, however, they were never able to do that successfully.  Back in the day, adultery was an offense prosecuted by stoning.  So, as Jesus taught, the leaders brought in a woman who had committed adultery and the religious leaders asked Jesus, "In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women.  Now what do you say?" (John 8:5)  Jesus, patiently, responded to the leaders by saying, "If any of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her."  (John 8:7)  Guess what?  Not a single stone was thrown.

God loves us so much that he patiently waits for us to make the right choices, for us to turn to him, and for us to seek the path he has for us.  As believers, we are to be patient with those around us.  So hard to do!  In many situations I am challenged by what someone says, does, or how they act.  I tend to take a holier than thou response in my heart and mind which completely and utterly disrupts my peace.  I also like to get on my soapbox from time to time.  Not a super patient place to be.  In John 8, Jesus did not judge the woman, he created an even playing field that put everyone in the same game with the same skills.  No one was able to throw a stone.  Additionally, he demonstrated patience for the religious leaders who were condemning the woman.  Jesus did not take a holier than thou stance.  He did not yell back at them or come to the woman's defense and he did not get on his soapbox.  He saw them each individually, as they truly were, a work in progress, a garden to tend and cultivate.  If we patiently viewed others as Jesus views them, wouldn't we be more peaceful and unaffected?  Would reacting in patience protect the peace that God wants us to live with?

As my kids prepared for the beginning of school, we sat at the dinner table one night and I asked them some questions about school.  What are you most excited about?  What are you most concerned about?  What teacher are you hoping for?  One question made me giggle and then caused me to reflect on my own patience.  I asked, "What two people would you really like to have in your class?"  Emma responded with two girls who are close friends of hers.  However, one of the girls moved and was not going to attend the same school, which Emma knew, so I asked her to pick someone that could actually be in her class.  She asked if it could be a boy and I said, of course, thinking that I would get some insight into a crush of some sort.  She got a big grin on her face and said, "Steve".  I changed 'Steve's' name to protect the innocent here.  Steve is one of the boys that parents, being truthful, dread having in their child's class.  He is disruptive and loud.  He takes a lot of the teacher's attention.  He disrupts the peace in the classroom.  So this answer surprised me.  I questioned her as to why Steve was her selection when he gets into trouble so often and maybe did she have a crush on him?  Emma said, "No crush, its just that Steve is funny, when he gets in trouble the teachers yell at him and it is funny to watch."  In the end, Steve does such quirky and outlandish things that the teachers get a little stumped.  Emma sees Steve as Jesus probably sees him,  someone who is funny and seeking something through his antics.  Emma is unaffected by his antics and enjoys watching them.  I had to appreciate it and realize that she does see him in a different light than most people in our community.  She sees him through a different set of glasses.  And in the end, doesn't Jesus see us through a different set of glasses?  Glasses protected by forgiveness and love.

James 5:7-9 says, "Be patient, then, brothers, until the Lord's coming.  See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop and how patient he is for the autumn and spring rains.  You too, be patient and stand firm, because the Lord's coming is near.  Don't grumble against each other, brothers, or you will be judged."  Emma did not judge Steve as I would have.  I would have been found allowing his actions to bother my heart and mind, thinking through them in my head and truly, judging what was wrong with him.  She sees Steve as Jesus sees him; a garden that needs to be tended with love and patience.  God's intention is patience and that patience protects the peace that I so desperately crave.
By His Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment