Friday, March 8, 2013

Home

Joining up with Lisa-Jo for Five Minute Friday. She says, ” why not take 5 minutes and see what comes out: not a perfect post, not a profound post, just five minutes of focused writing. So now on Fridays a group of people who love to throw caution to the wind and just write without worrying if it’s just right gather to share what five minutes buys them. Just five minutes. Your words. This shared feast.”

HOME

START: As the Israelites journey through the desert the resounding words that led them on were 'keep My commands and remember My promises'.  God spent many chapters reminding them to keep His commands and to remember His promises. This 'keep and remember' kept them focused on their home, the promised land, the place they were to find their inheritance.
I love the journey of the Israelites because it reminds me of where we are called to find our home.  If you think of the old adage 'home is where the heart is' and put that in the context of keeping and remembering, we should find home in the Lord and His promises, as the Israelites did.  Each time they made a mistake they had to revert to that keeping and remembering.
What do we keep and remember each day?  What do I encourage my kids to keep and remember?  I desire to keep God's commands and remember what He has promised.  But what is that?  In the end it is a singular promise of eternal life for those who believe in Him.  Is that the idea of home that sustains me each day and the idea I instill into my kids so that they view home as eternal life with God? STOP

4 comments:

  1. I love your thoughts here. So true, and very well expressed. I've been thinking a lot lately about how our current homes are just a small glimpse of what God has waiting for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley, love that! A small glimpse, the Israelites had no glimpse but yet they persevered. Makes me think, where do I need to better persevere? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How great is that question? What do I encourage my kids to keep and remember each day? Thank you for that! I am going to keep and remember that when I am guiding my boys everyday. This is such a great idea of how we can "intentionally parent".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Every time the Israelites stopped keeping and remembering chaos ensued...

      Delete